Pigfish - The Reverend James

 


Pigfish were active between 1998 and 2008, often compared to The Wildhearts and Ramones, and were championed by both the mainstream music press (I think I first heard them on a Kerrang! CD) and fanzines alike. I saw them in Cambridge twice I think (memory is a bit fuzzy there), and they were superb live.

They were also super friendly and played both the gigs I put on in Aberystwyth as a student; the first supporting No Choice, and then kindly stepping in last minute to support Tokyo Adventures when the promoter of The Letters Organize / The Once Over Twice tour double-booked them and pulled both bands from the bill.

Anyway, this is their mini-album from 2000, and it still holds up rather nicely today, with the murky-ish production bothering me far less now than it did at the time, and the fact it isn't a proper full-length probably bothering me more. What is here is great though; you've got soaring anthems such as "5 Days, 6 Hours, 9 Minutes" or the title track, catchy pop-punk with "Getting Up Early", the surprisingly broody "B/W Girl", not to mention stronger versions of "Shut Up" (originally a b-side to their "We Want a Christmas Number One!" single "Glass of Champagne") and the ever-present "Get Out".

Yup, this is still rather great :-)

𝗦𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺 𝗼𝗿 𝗗𝗼𝘄𝗻𝗹𝗼𝗮𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 / 𝗡𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗣𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺:

Comments