Nervous Dater - Call in the Mess



Nervous Dater's second album came out last month, and I've been meaning to post it here for a week or so now, but haven't managed to gather my thoughts enough to do it justice. Then I remembered that I don't actually write proper reviews, so it doesn't really matter. Phew! 

Anyway, I like this a lot. It's an album of timeless (or at least '90s-onwards) indie rock / pop / pop-punk, with heaps of variety, superb production, and really catchy songs. Guitarist / vocalist Rachel Lightner is the band's primary singer, but takes a step back on "The Dirt" and "Tin Foil Hat", and the resulting change-up between her stellar pipes and the gritty vocals of drummer Andrew Goetz diversifies their sound more than I would've expected.  I'm a big fan of dual gal/guy vocals, and I'd like to hear them sing together more. 

Still, the best thing about this record is the strength of the song-writing; there's a lot of heart, each song has something genuinely memorable about it, and given the band's wide-ranging sound I could easily see this ending up on more than a few 2021 Best Of lists.

It's a wonderful album. 

𝗦𝘁𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗺 𝗼𝗿 𝗗𝗼𝘄𝗻𝗹𝗼𝗮𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 / 𝗡𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗣𝗿𝗶𝗰𝗲 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺:

Comments